Why Porcelain Veneers May Be Right For You
If you have a broken tooth, yellow teeth or a big gap between your teeth, you probably have gotten adept at hiding your smile. You don't have to be ashamed of your teeth. New cosmetic dentistry tools, like veneers, can help you to have a bright smile again without a lot of expense or visits to the dentist's office.
What are veneers?
Veneers are porcelain overlays that fit atop your existing teeth. Unlike crowns, which replace the majority of the tooth or implants, which replace the entire tooth, veneers are adhered to the face of your actual tooth, improving the appearance of your teeth without disrupting your gums and jaw line. Dental veneers are used to correct a number of cosmetic problems, including chipped and broken teeth, discolored teeth and gaps between teeth.
Advantages to choosing veneers
1. They are less expensive than many other cosmetic dental options. Since much less work is required both to fit and to create veneers, they are much less costly than crowns, dentures and implants.
2. You keep your original teeth. Much less reconstruction is required when you choose veneers. That means you can keep most of your original tooth, which helps keep your smile and your jawline looking natural.
3. They are durable. Veneers are very durable and typically last between 10 and 15 years before having to be replaced.
4. Porcelain veneers are stain resistant. Unlike natural teeth and many other types of cosmetic dentistry devices, veneers resist stains from things like coffee, tea, red wine and tobacco.
5. Veneers don't require any special care. You can treat veneers just like your original teeth. No special care is required as it is with dentures. In addition, with properly-fitted veneers, you can eat all of your favorite foods, including things like apples, corn on the cob and barbecued ribs.
6. Fitting veneers is much quicker than other cosmetic dentistry procedures. While implants require oral surgery to insert the anchors as well as a long recovery time and dentures require having your teeth pulled and waiting for your teeth to be created, veneers can be created and fitted in a relatively short period of time. Veneers usually require two dental visits--one to take x-rays and measure your mouth and another to fit the veneers.
While veneers aren't the right choice for every dental patient, veneers are affordable, natural looking and can improve your smile for up to 15 years. To learn more, contact a professional like Tore D Steinberg DDS PC with any questions you have.